My daily drawings are coming along, but giving myself this goal has led me to think about other art-making goals.  I’ve been toying with the idea of trying to make a book a week –small, not fancy, just for fun. With my drawings last week  I took on the idea of following through with an overall theme. The perfect subject matter presented itself in my newly planted garden of succulents.  In order to learn more about the individual plants and keep track of each one, I decided to make a book to include the written information provided on the plastic pots the plants came in; Latin names, origin, soil, light, water conditions, etc, and drawings of the plants.

Rifling through my book-making odds and ends, I found the remnants of a tear-out postcard calendar from last year that I saved–just in case I wanted to use it for a book.  Its size, weight, and spiral binding struck me as just right for my purposes, with a few alterations and additions.  Here’s how I altered the calendar:

covering the calendar pages with paper

covering the calendar pages with paper

covering the cover with a watercolor

covering the cover with a watercolor

front and back covers

glued front and back covers

chart of plants, drawing in the book

chart of plants, drawing in the book

book and plants

book and plants

pages rolled with acrylic, plants painted with watercolor

pages rolled with acrylic, plants painted with watercolor

more pages

more pages (notice rounded corners)

outside inside

outside inside

The book is not finished, but close– I still need to figure out how I want to make a closure for it, and I plan to add some text outside or inside…stay tuned!

Advertisements