Weeks ago I started what will be my 5th hand-bound book of the summer, and just yesterday, I finally put the finishing touches on it.  The only reason it took this long to finish is that I’ve got a number of projects going simultaneously, as always, and work on this book had to fit in around the edges of everything else.  One of my art-making goals is to use what I already have as much as possible, and in this case I already had a collection of suede scraps of assorted colors and sizes, decorative paper for endpapers, plain paper for text blocks (some pre-cut from an earlier book), and linen thread shared by a friend.

Here are photos to illustrate the process:

suede cut to fit the page size

suede cut to fit the page size

Then I decided that the pages needed a little oomph to go with the leather…

tea brewing with sections in pan

tea brewing with sections in pan

steeping with teabags...

steeping with teabags...

the next day

the next day

second day, rusty pan

second day, rusty pan

tea bags off

tea bags off

sections drying

sections drying

into the press

into the press

pressing helped, later I ironed them...

pressing helped, later I ironed them...

choosing the right endpaper

choosing the right endpaper

I love and collect decorative papers the way some people collect beautiful fabrics or yarn, so when I go into my stash to find just the right thing, the number of good choices can make deciding difficult. The hand-painted paper I picked for the endpapers seemed to go best with a green thread, the cover,  the stained pages, and the overall feel of the book.

enpaper glued over spine support

enpaper glued over spine support

pages sewn in

pages sewn in

top view, wavy pages

top view, wavy pages

green thread longstitch

green thread longstitch

longstitch spine

longstitch spine

open book

open book

As for what will go inside this book, that remains to be seen!

Advertisements